April 28th, 2017
CCA Research: Does Crowdfunding impact job creation, revenue and follow-on investment?
CCA | Jason Best and Sherwood Neiss | February 10, 2014
In August 2013, Crowdfund Capital Advisors conducted research on several hundred companies in North America, Europe and Africa that had completed successful rewards, debt or equity-based crowdfunding campaigns from June 2012 to June 2013.
All of the campaigns measured in this research were to 'for profit' businesses as opposed to philanthropic, and were randomly selected from major portals such as Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Crowdcube, Seedrs, WiSeed and others.
- Quarterly revenues increased by an average of 24% for successfully crowdfunded companies (via rewards, equity or debt)
- Quarterly revenues increased by 351% for equity-based crowdfunding companies
Job Creation Impact:
- 39% of companies who had success with equity or debt-based crowdfunding hired an average of 2.2 new employees post-raise (an additional 48% indicated that they intended to hire new staff with use of proceeds)
- 28% of companies who had success with reward-based crowdfunding hired an average of 2 new employees post-raise
Follow-on Investment Impact:
- Within 3 months of a successful crowdfunding campaign, 28% of the companies had closed an angel investor or venture capital round
- An additional 43% were in discussions with institutional investors
- On average companies invested 135 hours to execute a 45 day crowdfunding campaign and spent just over $2,100 on marketing (i.e, social media, video) translating into a positive ROI of $813 returned for every hour invested.
The National Crowdfunding Association of Canada (NCFA Canada) is a cross-Canada crowdfunding hub providing education, advocacy and networking opportunities in the rapidly evolving crowdfunding industry. NCFA Canada is a community-based, membership-driven entity that was formed at the grass roots level to fill a national need in the market place. Join our growing network of industry stakeholders, fundraisers and investors. Increase your organization’s profile and gain access to a dynamic group of industry front runners. Learn more About Us | Prezi or contact us at email@example.com.