September 26th, 2018
Understanding Alternative Finance: The UK Alternative Finance Industry Report 2014
Nesta | November 7, 2014
- In 2014 the alternative finance market is expected to grow to £1.74 billion.
- The market grew by 150 per cent from 2012 to 2013 and is on track to grow by 161 per cent from 2013 to 2014.
- It is expected that the UK alternative finance market will have provided over £1bn of growth and working capital to an estimated 7,180 SME equivalent to 2.4 per cent of bank lending to businesses by the end of the year.
- 70 per cent of SME borrowers using P2P business lending have seen their turnover grow since secured funding with 63 per cent of them recording a growth in profit.
- Alternative finance is providing significant additional giving to social good projects, with more than three in four backers of projects with a social focus using funds in addition to what they would normally give to charitable causes.
As highlighted in this report, the UK market is growing rapidly, and has more than doubled in size year on year from £267 million in 2012 to £666 million in 2013 to £1.74 billion in 2014.
In the process, it has given individuals more control over their money as well as new outlets to invest or donate it. At the same time entrepreneurs, SMEs, charities and community organizations are obtaining much–needed finance, which in many cases they would not otherwise be able to secure. It is evident from our research that the alternative finance market is contributing to the growth and vitality of the UK economy as well as having a positive social impact on philanthropic giving and volunteering.
However, while the market is racing ahead, growing in the number of individuals and ventures funded, the amount of total finance raised, and the number of businesses operating in the alternative finance industry, research has lagged behind. Beyond the size and growth of the market, we actually know very little about alternative finance and the people who are using it to fund or fundraise for projects and ventures.
The National Crowdfunding Association of Canada (NCFA Canada) is a cross-Canada crowdfunding hub providing education, advocacy and networking opportunities in the rapidly evolving crowdfunding industry. NCFA Canada is a community-based, membership-driven entity that was formed at the grass roots level to fill a national need in the market place. Join our growing network of industry stakeholders, fundraisers and investors. Learn more About Us | Support Canadian Crowdfunding.