5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%

share save 171 16 - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%

TODA Network | Toufi Saliba | Jan 9, 2018

blockchain adoption - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%Despite the skeptics, those that have noticed the hype surrounding current blockchains have in fact only seen less than 0.2% global penetration. If that is a revolution - it's a failure. However, what's yet to come is what will get this technology to the remaining 99.8%; and that will not be ledger-based - but will still be a blockchain at the network level that will be unstoppable. No government, no agency, no company, in fact, nothing can stop it. Think of a Tsunami that has already started - can't stop it.

Decentralized Governance is a Security Model

True decentralization cannot be stopped by any central power, however, in order to take off, decentralization must be self-regulated, a living example of that, Bitcoin for 10 years now, owns itself, defends itself and continues to evolve by incentivizing people around it with the only language they both speak: the money language.

Nature has it, what occurs during the exchange of oxygen with carbon dioxide in your lungs, which uses a decentralized protocol called the Alveolus Capillary Protocol. It is doing billions of exchanges per second in your lungs as you read this, without interference from your brain on its functioning. No matter how powerful your brain is, it can neither stop it nor interfere with it. In fact, the more effective it is the more powerful your brain is and vice versa. Think of the brain here as the government. A government that wants to be effective at servicing people must let decentralized governance take over without a centralized point, aka a weak point that could be attacked from within. Governments who care about the people would care to ensure they are operating with the least friction and most efficacy as they exchange value between each other and even between them and their government, for things such as health records, money, real estate or other value-based digital assets.

See:  Humans on the Blockchain: Why Crypto Is the Best Defense Against AI Overlords

There are five technical necessities that are still missing or incomplete. They must be achieved for blockchain to get to the remaining 99.8%, these are:

  1. Security: Decentralized governance is actually a security model to prevent an attack from within. Security without decentralization can be achieved using traditional databases that are fairly secure from outside attack and have been around for decades, but that won't help because they don't prevent an attack from within. Decentralization must be equal to the number of actual users, in fact, every user must be the node participating in the global consensus. (Yes it can be done)
  2. Efficiency: your users/customers will not use a system that is not efficient - at least not for long. The cost of any system must make relative sense to what we are using it for. You would not purchase a two dollar coffee using a system with a transaction cost that is higher than that. We aren't talking about fees, don’t let that fool you into believing that this is the overall cost. Current blockchains don't reflect the true cost. In fact the cost is hidden from the user by adding a tiny layer of fees, but effectively it takes the cost from the users.
  3. Confidentiality: A public ledger that is replicated is generally not confidential. An open and public system will go mainstream but not a ledger. Perhaps a hash of the block is all you need especially if it can be built in a way that all users no exception can contribute but hey don't have to. Think of some replication but not full replication.
  4. Scalability: This is one of the most publicized problems, in order for any system to achieve mass adoption - it must scale. (Not by reducing any of the points above. In fact we expect the deterministic distributed computing to achieve such a result.
  5. Interoperability: Over 50 projects claim that they have figured this out by building decentralized exchanges that must be relied upon. For P2P interoperability, it is necessary not to have anyone in the middle because they can impact any, if not all of the 4 previous necessities and collapse the system on itself. In security, there is a saying: "you are as good as your weakest link" and by having decentralized exchanges to depend on, they at best become one of the weakest links if not the absolute weakest

What’s Holding Humanity Back?

The most popular blockchains intended to achieve this, however, an exploitation of the Bitcoin protocol that started almost 7 years ago, precisely on Hashcash, the core component of PoW got us to the point where only certain classes of machines can be miners. The incentives of those machines diverged from the incentive of users and contributed largely to the regressive evolution of this revolutionary technology at its infancy stage.

Leakage of Value

This leakage of value is a major cost to everyone, despite the fact that people claim that the current Ethereum implementation is free for people to use. The majority actually think that the cost is what they pay in fees using the Ethereum Gas model, in fact, the fees are low when compared to the overall cost of mining that leaks out from users into a different class called miners. Those miners in Ethereum alone extracted directly over $3.4B from the community YTD which led to the collapse of the ETH price as supply outpaced demand. Some criticize Ethereum to be a Ponzi scheme because of that, while we reserve no judgment; instead, we work with many on a solution that will return this technology to its original promises and make it more disruptive than anyone thought before.

See:  Cybersecurity, Blockchain And The Industrial Internet Of Things

The remaining 99.8% of the people on this planet will all be on chain one way or another, but definitely not on a ledger based chain. This can truly be the next biggest revolutionary technology the world has yet to witness.

Solving By Design

There are over 5000 people working on these issues globally - so why has the situation not advanced? Because most researchers are not liberated, in fact, they are constrained but often find it hard to admit to.

Mass adoption can only be achieved if these issues are solved by design. This means that the blockchain in question must have all 5 of the key elements described - not 3, not even 4 is enough. Without these necessities, entities using the technology cannot succeed, but having them also does not guarantee success.

From the Bottom Up

To achieve these necessities, blockchain needs the right foundation. TCP/IP is the current foundation (protocol) that allows the internet to exist and enables packets of data to be transmitted. However, these packets cannot effectively hold nor transmit value: the ownership of your home, for example.

Why does this matter? This matters because without solving these problems, we would not even want to strive for mass adoption. A system that does not offer security, efficiency, confidentiality, scalability and interoperability (in that order of importance) all must be met or else, what we have to show will never be revolutionary.

Toufi Saliba is the CEO of Toda.Network. Toda.Network launched in 2018 to enable projects to deliver on the promises of Blockchain. The company has formed and continues to form and onboard alliances, startups and joint ventures which are building on the Toda.Network. The TODA Protocol is a network protocol, a modification of TCP/IP, (not replacing it/ that enables value transmission over the packet layer and below the operating system in a fully decentralized setting, without reliance on a ledger. Learn more: Toda.Network.


NCFA Jan 2018 resize - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8% The National Crowdfunding & Fintech Association (NCFA Canada) is a financial innovation ecosystem that provides education, market intelligence, industry stewardship, networking and funding opportunities and services to thousands of community members and works closely with industry, government, partners and affiliates to create a vibrant and innovative fintech and funding industry in Canada. Decentralized and distributed, NCFA is engaged with global stakeholders and helps incubate projects and investment in fintech, alternative finance, crowdfunding, peer-to-peer finance, payments, digital assets and tokens, blockchain, cryptocurrency, regtech, and insurtech sectors. Join Canada's Fintech & Funding Community today FREE! Or become a contributing member and get perks. For more information, please visit: www.ncfacanada.org

Latest news - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%FF Logo 400 v3 - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%community social impact - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2020 FINTECH DRAFT PITCHING AND DEMO COMPANY WINNERS!



FFCON20 Pitching and Demo Winners - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%



NCFA COVID 19 letter to government to support Fintechs and SMEs - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%

NCFA Newsletter subscribe600 - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%

Global Risk Institute | Markos Zachariadis, University of Manchester | Sep 24, 2020 Executive Summary:  Data-sharing frameworks in financial services:  Discussing open banking regulation for Canada  Data-sharing frameworks in financial services are becoming increasingly prevalent with the potential to shape drastically the future of banking and finance. As data assets are of strategic importance to financial institutions and central to their ‘datafication’ and digital transformation processes, sharing and accessing new data can alter the dynamics of competition and lead to the emergence of new players as well as nascent markets. Innovative technologies such as application programming interfaces (APIs) can help simplify data communication between systems and thus standardize the exchange of information between organizations allowing them to experiment with new, more open, business models. APIs also give the ability to effectively control openness and orchestrate ecosystems of third-parties that can add value to organizations’ supply chain and end users. Having said that, the deployment of open APIs in financial services raises numerous questions regarding the appropriate regulatory (or not) framework and infrastructure for opening up data in the banking sector. See:  Open Banking – North American Style Explore Fintechs in Canada Sign-up for NCFA's Weekly & Insights Newsletter The current ...
Read More
Data sharing frameworks and APIs - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
Betakit | Meagan Simpson | Sep 23, 2020 Neo Financial, the new Canadian FinTech startup focused on challenging the status quo in banking, has begun rolling out its services in Western Canada. Neo Financial is a Prairies-based startup created by SkipTheDishes founders Andrew Chau and Jeff Adamson, alongside Kris Read. It is the newest challenger bank entrant into the Canadian financial market and is on a mission to re-imagine everyday banking. After spending the first year and a half of its existence building out its tech and banking infrastructure, Neo has officially brought its financial services offering to market. Over the last couple of weeks, Neo began offering its savings account, Mastercard, and merchant rewards program to a select number of individuals on its 30,000-plus waitlist. With a current focus on Western Canada, Neo hopes to have its products available across Canada later this year. See:  Open banking would help the recovery Refusal to embrace open banking puts Canada behind yet another curve C.D. Howe Institute Report: Open Banking Holds Promise, Risks for Consumers Rebank Podcast: How to Build a Profitable Digital Bank with Tinkoff Chau, Neo’s CEO, recently spoke to BetaKit about the startup’s go-to-market strategy and its goal ...
Read More
NEO - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
MarketWatch | Jonathan Burton | Sep 18, 2020 Veteran hedge-fund manager says capitalists don’t divide the economic pie well, so the system isn’t working effectively for all Ray Dalio certainly is no radical idealist, but in his frequent writings and media appearances the veteran investor consistently calls for Americans to rewrite their longstanding contract with capitalism so that it is fairer and more generous to more people. Otherwise, he predicts, life in the U.S. could become more difficult: mountainous debt that stunts economic growth; fewer opportunities for ordinary citizens to get ahead financially; and a worldwide lack of trust in the U.S. dollar that diminishes Americans’ purchasing power and could lower their standard of living. Dalio is the founder of Bridgewater Associates, the world’s largest hedge-fund firm, which has made him a billionaire. So it’s not surprising that he champions capitalism as a proven way to expand economic growth and living standards. “Capitalism and capitalists are good at increasing and producing productivity to increase the size of the economic pie,” he says. Then Dalio stands this tenet on its head. Capitalists don’t divide the economic pie very well, he says, and so today the capitalist system, the foundation of the ...
Read More
Ray Dalio at world economic forum - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
Investment Executive | James Langton | Sep 21, 2020 Sweeping recommendations to reform Ontario’s securities laws are facing a barrage of criticism from certain corners of Bay Street. The Ontario Capital Markets Modernization Taskforce, which began its review of the province’s securities laws in February, published its draft recommendations in July. The task force aims to deliver its final recommendations to the government by the end of the year, despite conducting most of its consultations amid a global pandemic. The task force’s work has been remarkable for both its speed and its ambition, but critics say the group’s recommendations are ill-conceived, threaten investor protection and could undermine the province’s efforts for more vibrant capital markets. The task force’s July report proposes a series of reforms largely designed to stoke growth in the capital markets. In addition to the Ontario Securities Commission’s (OSC) traditional priorities of investor protection and ensuring fair and efficient markets, the task force proposes expanding the regulator’s mandate to include an obligation to foster capital formation and competition. The task force also recommends overhauling Ontario’s existing regulatory structure, easing a variety of constraints on raising capital, remodelling proxy voting and corporate governance, and revisiting enforcement and investor ...
Read More
Ontario government building 1 - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Press Release |  Sep 21, 2020 WASHINGTON—The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) today published a letter clarifying national banks' and federal savings associations' authority to hold "reserves" on behalf of customers who issue certain stablecoins. Stablecoins refer to cryptocurrency backed by an asset such as a fiat currency, including U.S. dollars or other foreign currency. "National banks and federal savings associations currently engage in stablecoin-related activities involving billions of dollars each day," Acting Comptroller of the Currency Brian P. Brooks said. "This opinion provides greater regulatory certainty for banks within the federal banking system to provide those client services in a safe and sound manner." See:  Stablecoins: Experience the Stability Visa’s digital dollar concept opens a door to central bank currencies FFCON20 Video: Future of CBDCs, Digital Assets and Trading Virtual Panel via Toronto Centre (Apr 17): Using Stable Coins to Facilitate Financial Stability and Inclusion Under Unprecedented Times The letter responds to questions regarding the application of stablecoin-related bank activities. It concludes national banks and federal savings associations may hold "reserves" on behalf of customers who issue stablecoins, in situations where the coins are held in hosted wallets. The ...
Read More
Stablecoins   - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
SBE Council | Sep 16, 2020 New Report Highlights Investment Crowdfunding’s Success, and COVID-19 Policy Opportunities for Recovery Today, Crowdfund Capital Advisors (CCA) and the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council (SBE Council) released a new report detailing the growing power and prevalence of investment crowdfunding and the need for a “Main Street Recovery Co-Investment Fund.” “We need to act quickly to stop the bleeding on Main Street,” says Sherwood Neiss, Principal at Crowdfund Capital Advisors. “Short term band aids might slow the trauma, but we need a program that can quickly get capital to local businesses in a way that is supported by local investors. This will create a long-term win that will rebuild and sustain local economies, provide dividends to investors and achieve what Congress is trying to accomplish at the local level,” adds Neiss. In the report, Regulation Crowdfunding by Congressional District: A Report Card, CCA and SBE Council review the progress of investment crowdfunding since 2016.  The Jumpstart Our Businesses Startup Act (JOBS Act) of 2012 enacted changes that ushered in investment crowdfunding, which officially launched following the finalization of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules in 2016. Currently, the SEC is in the process of advancing ...
Read More
Fund small business recovery - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
McKinsey Global Institute | Sep 21, 2020 In 2015, the 193 member countries of the United Nations came together to commit to 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Goal 5 focused on gender equality and set the ambitious target of achieving gender equality and empowering women and girls everywhere by 2030. Five years later, large gender gaps remain across the world, and the early evidence suggests that the COVID-19 pandemic has had a regressive effect on gender equality. Learn More: Banking Must Take A Stand On Tough Social Issues Women In Fintech Will Play A Crucial Part In The Covid-19 Recovery Plan Black tech founders say venture capital needs to move past ‘diversity theater’ Three Big Things: The Most Important Forces Shaping the World Why venture capital firms need more women partners and entrepreneurs Why Older Entrepreneurs Have the Edge Gender Bias Contributes to Blocking Female Founders Out of Investment & Venture Capital. We Need to Fix This. Six steps to achieve financial gender parity this #IWD How can we ensure that the role of women in the workplace and in society is central to efforts to rebuild economies in the COVID-19 era, and that women do not fall further behind? As ...
Read More
Gender eqality - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
Roar Growth on Medium | Peggy van de Plassche | Sep 14, 2020 How to protect our economies and capitalize on the trend As Palantir filed for IPO (while also settling a score with Silicon Valley), news on the cybersecurity front has been grim since the start of the pandemic. One of the unintended consequences of COVID-19 and subsequently of the entire economy moving online was the exponential increase in the points of vulnerability both on the clients’ and employees’ sides. In addition, the uncertain and fearful global environment became a fertile ground for fraudsters. Accordingly, the spike in cyber security threats related to COVID-19 and specifically the influx of associated malware and phishing scams was fast, furious and global; more specifically, attacks against the financial sector increased 238% globally from the beginning of February to the end of April With the IMF estimating, back in 2018, that cybercrime was costing the world ~$100 billion to 350 billion annually (the equivalent to ~10 to 30 percent of banks’ net income globally) and was potentially threatening financial stability, what are the trends we can anticipate? Below are several areas where I see a lot of activity taking place, hence generating opportunity ...
Read More
cyber attacks increasing - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
BBC | Sep 21, 2020 Leaked documents involving about $2tn of transactions have revealed how some of the world's biggest banks have allowed criminals to move dirty money around the world. They also show how Russian oligarchs have used banks to avoid sanctions that were supposed to stop them getting their money into the West. It's the latest in a string of leaks over the past five years that have exposed secret deals, money laundering and financial crime. What are the FinCEN files? The FinCEN files are more than 2,500 documents, most of which were files that banks sent to the US authorities between 2000 and 2017. They raise concerns about what their clients might be doing. See:  Fintech & Cybersecurity: Key Risks and Solutions These documents are some of the international banking system's most closely guarded secrets. Banks use them to report suspicious behaviour but they are not proof of wrongdoing or crime. They were leaked to Buzzfeed News and shared with a group that brings together investigative journalists from around the world, which distributed them to 108 news organisations in 88 countries, including the BBC's Panorama programme. Hundreds of journalists have been sifting through the dense, technical documentation, ...
Read More
FinCEN Files - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%
NCFA Canada | Sep 18, 2020 JOIN US ON A STORYTELLING JOURNEY EVERY FRIDAY. EP41:  40% pandemic growth, taking risks and innovating Insurtech in Canada GUEST: DANISH YUSUF, Founder and CEO, Zensurance BIO:  Danish Yusuf is the Founder and CEO of Zensurance, a Toronto-based technology company focused on building curated insurance solutions for business owners.  Danish is a former leader in McKinsey & Company's Digital Insurance practice, supporting insurance clients globally on defining their digital strategy. Prior to McKinsey, Danish was a software architect and developer at IBM Canada, covering everything from mainframe development to web development.  Danish earned a bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering from the University of Toronto and has an MBA from Harvard Business School. In 2018, he was named by Canadian Underwriter as one of the Top 10 Brokers Under 40 in the Canadian Property and Casualty industry.  Enjoy! Links: Danish Yusuf, Founder and CEO, Zensurance (LinkedIn) Zensurance  (website |  twitter) About this episode:  Danish Yusuf, Founder and CEO of Zensurance joins Craig Asano, Founder and CEO NCFA Canada for the kickoff episode of Season 3 of Fintech Fridays. They discuss Danish's entrepreneurial journey, the story behind the creation of Zensurance and dive into what it's ...
Read More
NCFA FF Podcast Ep41 Danish Yusuf Zensurance Banner - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%

 

share save 171 16 - 5 Missing Necessities to Move Blockchain from 0.2% Global Penetration to the Remaining 99.8%